The River Club - January 2009

Feb 8, 2009 |   |   | 
  • Share on:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest

January has been warm to hot - the highest the temperature got to was 30 degrees Celsius while the lowest was 18 degrees Celsius. We had quite a nice amount of rain - 174mm - and it was pretty humid averaging nearly 75%.

Around The River Club
The River Club had a quietish month. However, the guests that stayed with us had a wonderful time.

The Zambezi is starting to fill up quickly, and the islands in front of the Club are disappearing rapidly as the water rises. We have been seeing elephants which come over from Zimbabwe on the other side of the river to forage on the islands for the past five months and this month we reckon we have seen the last of them for a while as the islands disappear.

Rhino: The five new rhinos imported from South Africa six months ago have been released this month and a few lucky guests managed to see one of them crossing the main road to The River Club! There are now in total six rhinos at Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park which is near Livingstone and we all hope that they will thrive and eventually breed.

One family had a great fishing experience. While Marietjie enjoyed an Agatha Christie book by the pool, Christian, Nielen and Keith went fishing on the Zambezi River and caught a huge tiger fish. It was after a big struggle with the fish that Keith managed to take the 'tiger' out of water, releasing it after the photo shoots. They enjoyed the experience so much that they went back fishing the next day and caught another tiger fish, but this one was a bit smaller. Well done, Keith!

A little bit of rain doesn't stop activities here at The River Club. Two of our wonderful young guests went for a crazy quad bike adventure. They had a fantastic time riding in the mud!

Simonga Village Project Update
The villagers are happy and feel safer at the village with the two policemen now living at the police staff accommodation (built by The River Club). The police patrol the village 24 hours a day.

A big thanks to all our wonderful donors to this project, and especially to Russell and Irene Jacobs who asked all their wedding guests to donate funds to Simonga Village's police station in lieu of their wedding gifts. This project has cost a total of K58, 639,335 ($11,730): a project that is very worthwhile for the safety of all villagers.

The pre-school construction is moving along quickly. The walls are up and the contractor has started the roof. The project should be competed by the end of March 2009.

Some good news about the Medical Clinic at Simonga. A report from the contractor arrived recently stating that 95% of the work has been accomplished and the remaining 5% will be completed very shortly.

Guest comments in the visitor book:

"We had an awesome time, elephant safari great and the helicopter ride over the Falls breathtaking. We would like to return in the future. Very relaxing. Thank you to all the staff for making it a wonderful stay." Dennis and Karen

  • Share on:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
Previous Next


Subscribe to our
Wilderness RSS feeds

Dont miss out on wildlife sightings, news and more...

» Our RSS feeds

Connect with
Wilderness Safaris

Share Your Wilderness Safari Album

Thank you for sharing your special Wilderness experience with us.

Upload your photos here to share your precious safari memories.

» Upload
View a selection of our guests' and other friends' galleries...