A world in one country
South Africa has an abundance of wildlife and scenery, from the sandy beaches, sheer, forest-covered cliffs, and amazing marine life of its coastline to arid deserts, peak-filled mountain ranges and open bushveld savannah.
This diversity of habitats is echoed in the country’s peoples and history. The first human inhabitants (the San people) and the powerful civilisations of Mapungubwe and Thulamela of a thousand years ago have given way to a 21st-century country filled with a colourful mixture of people and cultures, a heady history and a natural heritage that has South Africans defining their land as "a world in one country."
Things to look forward to in South Africa:
- Viewing wildlife in the Kruger National Park
- Scuba diving off the east coast in Maputaland
- Meeting diverse peoples from a variety of ethnic groups
- Climbing Table Mountain or visiting Robben Island
- Walking ancient elephant paths at Pafuri