Yesterday we introduced you to Freedom Nxele and his delicious chocolate soufflé recipe…
Here's another one of Freedom’s creations that comes to you from our Wilderness Premier Camps situated in the heart of the Okavango Delta.
We hope you will enjoy making….
The Perfect Crème Brûlee
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 Teaspoons vanilla essence
- 40 g castor sugar
- 250 ml cream
- 7 Egg yolks
- Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds, placing the seeds and pod in a pot with cream and vanilla essence. Bring to the boil.
- In a bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar until white.
- Add cream to the egg mixture in the bowl and stir well. Do no stop stirring – you do not want the mixture to scramble.
- Place this mixture back into a pot and cook until thick (never boil the mixture!) cook this on a low heat and take it off the plate once it begins to boil, allowing it to cool before placing it on the heat again.
- Remove vanilla pod from custard mixture.
- Pour mixture into ramekins and set in a fridge.
- Sprinkle a little castor sugar on crème brûlee just before serving and caramelize the castor sugar with a blowtorch.
Serve and enjoy!
- The set custard should be only faintly wobbly.
- Always add a pinch of salt to the cream or egg before combining – this will bring out the vanilla flavour.
- Make sure the eggs are at room temperature.